Access to funding can make or break career goals, and it is important that you think laterally about where you may obtain full or sometimes part-funding to help you achieve a career goal.
From the following list of useful resources - check out any which may be of interest or use to you now and in the future, make sure you save your favourites and revisit on a regular basis.
- BUPA Foundation: Prizes of £10,000 are on offer for research projects in the following areas: clinical excellence, medical research, health at work, epidemiology, communication and care for the elderly.
- Commonwealth Fund: Applications are invited by the Commonwealth Fund from health policy researchers and practitioners to apply for a 9-12 month study fellowship in the USA.
- Florence Nightingale Foundation: Travel scholarships for nurses, midwives and health visitors.
- Health Foundation: Leading Practice Through Research: aimed at those wishing to develop their professional skills as well as pursuing their research.
- HSA Charitable Trust Scholarships/Awards: Major Scholarships: up to £5,000 each (Doctorate or a Masters Degree). Scholarships: up to £3,000 each (Bachelors degree, Diploma or Certificate); Grants: up to £1,000 each (except Doctorates or Masters Degrees)
- Margaret Parkinson Scholarship - Post-Registration Nurses: Scholarships for RCN members to undertake courses or obtain experience in nursing practice
- RCM Midwifery Awards: To recognise and reward innovation in midwifery practice, education and research.
- RCN Grants: Up to £250 to assist RCN members to enhance their professional skills, knowledge and competence. Available to qualified nursing staff with 2 years RCN membership.
- RCN Educational Scholarship: Scholarships available to undertake a project, research, or study tour specifically related to nurse education.
- The Barbers Company Clinical Nursing Scholarship: Fees or subsistence are offered for nurses undertaking a masters or research in an academic setting in the UK or overseas. RCN
- The Queen's Nursing Institute Scotland : Is a registered charity in Scotland which awards various grants annually.
- The Ruth Davies Research Bursary to assist midwives with their research RCM
- Trevor Clay Scholarship Fund: Trevor Clay Scholarship to facilitate development in a leadership/management role. Awards can be used to part-fund a project, study visit or an appropriately recognised course. RCN
- Nurse Consultants
- Nurse Practitioners: A definition of their role can be found at
- NMC (2004): Standards of proficiency for specialist community public health nurses.
- Scottish Executive Health Department (2004) Framework for Nursing in General Practice
- Scottish Executive Health Department: AHP Development Leadership Programme
- RCN Leadership Programme
- Leadership Framework
- NHS Education for Scotland (2005) Making Choices, facing challenges: developing your research career in nursing, midwifery and the allied health professions. Edinburgh, Scottish Executive.
The document is also available on the NHS Education for Scotland website It contains very good advice and provides information on other resources where you can gain more personal advice and also information sources for research training and potential funding